Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ranting about being 23

I haven't written in this thing for over 6 months now. That is a testament to the fact that my last semester of college was pretty all-consuming. So, as of May 2012 I have my Bachelor of Arts in Social Work. As of May 2012 through now I've found out that a BSW will not get me a summer job - it seems more like a deterrent for most hiring managers. Maybe if I were seeking full-time employment I would have had more luck. Maybe if my husband were willing to let me stand in line for hours at the new Mel's or IHOP during open interviews I would have had more luck. All I know is it's about to be July and I have no income other than that which my benevolent mother bestows upon me.

I'm the Class of 2012 but the point still applies - I deflated pretty quickly.
Being 20-something is what I imagine to be a good on-earth example of purgatory. We thought it was college, but no, we need to undergo some more crap before we're ready to enter the adult world. How many college graduates do I know who had to live at home for a few months to a year before heading out on their own? How many have parents helping out financially? We are mocked for being a lazy generation yet, in general, we start out behind with mountains of debt and not everyone is so lucky to have some help from family. The only ones who are truly ahead don't graduate in the red and likely get a little gift of a down-payment as a graduation gift.

Today the Supreme Court decided to uphold a big part of the Obama administration's health care reform. Because of that reform I'm able to stay on my mom's insurance until I'm 26, though at 25 I'll be trying to enter the grown-up job market after grad school. It's like half the county knows how shit out of luck we are as twenty-somethings and the other half wants us to figure out how to fix 'it' on our own.

I have a roof over my head and things that pass as food in my belly (at least I did 10 hours ago, oops). I'm not facing a foreclosure or lay off or other life-changing event. I'm simply stuck where I am. Our car needed repairing and a wonderful aunt stepped help with that. The cat needs her license renewed which is ridiculous because she has nothing at all to do with the outside world. Our TV just broke at 1.5 years old and I'm fighting the maker to fix it. In a month and a half I will start grad school and find my purpose again. For now, I'm going to rely on my mom and keep spending all my time on borderline-smutty books and video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment